How to get started with article writing for Wikipedia?
Wikipedia is a free digital encyclopedia where a user can gain knowledge using it. Many volunteers make use of it to share knowledge and you can be one of them. It is commonly noticed that beginners find it difficult to publish an approved article on Wikipedia. Also, it takes several failed attempts before successfully publishing your first article on Wikipedia.
- Learn the basics of writing an article on Wikipedia
- Look upon some common mistakes
- How can we increase the chances of getting it approved?
Article in a Nutshell
In this article, we will learn to write an article about a notable topic backed by high-quality sources and references, along with fluent language. This will help you in both, improving and approving your article.
Create a Wikipedia account for yourself
First, you have to create a regular account on Wikipedia and then verify it. Without an account, you cannot edit or write an article, so a user account is a must.
How to choose the topic for your Wikipedia article?
While choosing a topic, you have to keep several things in mind:
- The article should not be about you, your family, or someone/something related to you.
- It should not include promotion or advertisement in any form.
- The subject you choose should be based on facts and information and not someone’s interest.
- It is advisable not to publish any personal/original work or essay.
- It should not spread negativity or defame a person or an organization.
When you are choosing your topic, search about the subject in the Wikipedia search box and check whether it already exists or not. If not, then you can be the first one to write about it.
Difference between notable and non-notable topics
Due to lack of notability, Wikipedia Volunteers rejects thousands of articles within few hours.
What exactly is this notability? If you want to publish an article on Wikipedia, the subject, the sources, and the content must be worthy. When you choose a topic, you must make sure that it is worth reading by the users. You cannot pick up any subject and start writing about it.
Next step after choosing a “Notable Topic”
After choosing a Notable Topic, you must research it. Above all, you should reasonable amount of time studying it and try to gather as many sources and references on the web. The sources must be from a reputable newspaper, respected publisher, or some literature reviews.
Features of a high-quality source
- Sources must consist of a substantial and extensive discussion about the topic. It must be present over an extended period.
- Published sources should be independent of the subject. Hence the company’s website, social media handles, or press releases are not reliable.
If most of your sources pass these criteria, then your references can be considered as high-quality and reliable.
How to look for the sources and references?
If one wants to look for some references, they will directly go for web-search. But that’s not the correct way. It would help if you searched for the sources using google books and news archives. Wikipedia accepts and considers references from the books and news articles of high-quality. By looking for it in this manner, it will help you to save your time.
While you are studying your reference sources, make a habit of writing notes and points you want to include in your article. It will help you to build the structure of your page.
Gather your references together and get started with the article
As you have set your inventory, now you are good to go. Build the page using the points you have made and use the reference link to back the points. In addition, you should never copy-paste stuff from other websites. It will lead to the violation of copyright policy. However you can include relatively short quotations. Try to avoid all spelling and grammatical errors. Also, make sure that your article is readable, and the readers find it easy to understand.